Whenever prom season is gearing up, you may start to get stressed about finding a suitable prom dress. Here, six tips for buying the most fabulous prom dress, so don’t have to stress out when shopping for THE ONE.
1. PENCIL YOURSELF IN: Call the store and ask to make an appointment to get one-on-one service. After seeing you try on a couple of dresses the sales representative should be able to tell what kind of dress you’re looking for and what style looks best on your body. Sometimes dresses that are ugly on the rack are gorgeous with YOU in it! P.S. Be careful with the dresses you try on–the samples are delicate so hand each one back to the associate to rehang after you take it off, don’t just leave the dress in a heap on the floor of the dressing room.
2. DRESS THE PART: Wear the undergarments and any hosiery that you’ll wear the night of prom. That way you’ll get a real sense of what the dress will look like on your big night.
3. BRING A SMALL FANCLUB: Don’t go shopping with a big group. Pick one close friend to give you her honest opinion, or bring your mom who you know will always tell you the truth.
4. SAVE MONEY: If you buy a dress in stock (rather than special ordering it) it’ll be much cheaper. And if you buy a model from last year or a sample dress, you’ll save in the long run. Plus, keep an eye out for “Trunk Shows”–there are typically discounts there.
5. GO “COUTURE”: Most dresses need minor alterations, like shortening the hem or taking in the sides. If you love the dress, but the fit isn’t perfect, ask the shop what they can do. Just be sure to ask how much it will cost before they do any alterations!
6. BEWARE OF ONLINE DEALS: While you can find a good deal on the web, some online stores can be misleading. Buy from a reputable store, such as eDressit UK stores, Germany stores you live near by, or one you’ve used before. If the dress seems too good to be true, you might not be getting a bargain–you might end up with a cheaply made knock-off that’s the wrong size and color!
Good luck shopping, CG!s!